KUMO BOARD OWNERS GUIDE
Kumo means ‘cloud’ in Japanese. Like a cloud the Kumo Board, Roller and Cushion are soft and comfortable to use, reducing the potential for damage to walls, furniture and bodies when compared to traditional wooden and plastic balance trainers. Kumo Board’s inflatable technology allows the board, roller and cushion to be soft and skill-level adjustable for a wide variety of settings and uses, and makes the entire system compact and portable when deflated. We hope you enjoy your Kumo Board as much as we do, if you have questions or comments we’d love to hear from you! email@example.com
- Traction pad - EVA pad on top of board for comfort and grip.
- Carry Straps - May also used for attaching resistance bands for fitness use.
- Inflation Valve - Same style valve that is used for bike or car tires - 20 psi max recommended pressure - see below for details on inflation!
ORIGINAL ROLLER COMPONENTS
- Inflation Valve - Same type of valve used for bike and car tires - 20psi maximum recommended pressure - see below for details on inflation!
ROLLER v2.0 COMPONENTS
- Mouth inflation valve with white valve plug - For low pressure use - remove plug by prying up using a flat head screwdriver. Inflate using mouth and have plug ready to re-insert as you continue to blow air into the roller.
- Needle inflation valve - Use this valve for high pressure use up to 10psi. Always use the cover at pressures above 4psi to avoid deforming the roller. This valve accepts the same inflation needle used to inflate sport balls such as basketballs, footballs, etc.
- Roller Cover - The roller cover is designed to maintain the roller’s shape at pressures from 4-10psi, and to provide a durable textured surface with the perfect amount of "slip" and "grip". The cover should always be used when inflating the roller above 4psi and should never exceed 10psi. To install the cover, deflate the roller until the cover easily slides on, then pull the cover onto the roller until it is evenly centered on the roller. We recommend inflating the roller until the cover is taught and firm to the touch and no more.
- Mouth inflation valve with white valve plug - The cushion is designed for low-pressure use. To inflate remove the white plug by prying up along the edge of the plug head using a flat head screwdriver. Inflate using mouth and reinsert plug once it reaches desired inflation level. It will only take a few breaths to inflate to a good air pressure for getting started. Difficulty will increase as you add more air.
- Traction nubs - Provides grip on the bottom of the cushion.
- Packing Straps (2)
- Packing Straps allow you to roll up your board, roller and cushion into a compact and portable single unit.
- Packing Straps may also be connected and used a as a fitness/stretching strap
- Board Deflator / Valve Core Tool (1)
This tool has two functions, one on each end of the tool.
The end with the small hole on the side of the tool is designed to screw onto the valve on your Kumo Board to allow for slow deflation. This lets you easily change the pressure in the board from higher to lower to achieve various settings and preferences. First you must remove the valve cap, then screw the Deflator onto the end of the valve. You will hear the air begin to escape from the board. Leave the deflator in place and test the board until it reaches the desired inflation level. Unscrew the deflator and replace the valve cap.
Valve Core Tool:
The end without a small hole on the side of the tool is the valve core remover tool. This end is used to remove what is called a “valve core”, located inside the valve, and deflate the board completely for transport. First remove the valve cap, then place the valve core remover over the valve head. Screw the valve core remover counterclockwise onto the valve head to unscrew the valve core from the valve. When you hear air being to escape from the board keep unscrewing and SLOWLY lift the valve core remover tool away from the valve. The valve core can then be set aside while you completely deflate the board. Once the board is completely deflated re-insert the valve core into the valve and screw it back into the valve counterclockwise, until it is snug.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Because Kumo Board, roller and cushion are inflatable you must keep them free of sharp objects or surfaces and avoid any type of sharp protrusion that could cause a puncture. You’ll also want to keep the inflation valves clean and clear of any dirt or debris. To clean simply wipe down your Kumo Board, roller and cushion as needed using a mild surface cleaner and a clean cloth.
STORAGE: Watch Video
Deflating and rolling up your board, roller and cushion is convenient for travel and ease of transport but not recommended for extended storage. When storing your board and roller for extended periods of time it is recommended that you keep them slightly inflated to avoid creases created when they are rolled or folded. Keep your board, roller and cushion in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight.
Trim Line Sports LLC warrants that all Kumo Board ® products are free of manufacturing defects in workmanship and materials and warrants that Kumo Board ® will repair or replace, at our discretion, defective parts or equipment (excluding wear from normal usage or misuse of the product) for the period of one year from the date of purchase.
DISREGARDING ANY OF THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE OWNER’S MANUAL AND/OR ON THE PRODUCT MAY RESULT IN INJURY... INCLUDING THE POSSIBILITY OF DEATH.
While Kumo Board is soft and user-friendly compared to traditional wooden and plastic balance boards, it is important to remember that all balance boards have an inherent amount of challenge and risk, regardless of the materials they are made of. Due to the high-pressure inflation technology used in the Kumo board and roller there are also several safety precautions unique to this product.
- DO NOT OVER-INFLATE! When inflating you MUST use an accurate pressure gauge to ensure you do not over-inflate the board and/or roller. The maximum inflation level for Kumo Board is 25psi. Check the gauge regularly as you inflate the board.
- Never use an electric pump or air compressor without a pressure gauge.
- Never leave an electric pump or air compressor unattended while inflating.
- NEVER CONSUME ALCOHOL OR ANY OTHER SUBSTANCE THAT MAY IMPAIR YOUR COORDINATION, JUDGEMENT OR ABILITY TO SAFELY USE KUMO BOARD.
- IMPORTANT PRECAUTIONS WHEN USED BY CHILDREN: An adult must explain all Health and Safety Information and usage guidelines and instructions to all children who are going to use the KUMO Board. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or death. An adult should assist young children when first using to make sure they understand correct use.
- Use of the KUMO Board may require varying amounts of physical activity. Consult a doctor before using the Kumo Board if:
- YOU ARE OR MAY BE PREGNANT
- YOU HAVE HEART, RESPIRATORY, BACK, JOINT OR OTHER ORTHOPEDIC CONDITIONS
- YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH PHYSICAL EXERCISE
- YOU HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED TO RESTRICT PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- NEVER USE KUMO BOARD AND/OR ROLLER BEYOND YOUR SKILLS OR ABILITY.
- NEVER LEAVE KUMO BOARD AND/OR ROLLER EXPOSED TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT
- REGULARLY INSPECT AIR VALVES AND ENTIRE BOARD/ROLLER FOR TEARS AND/OR DAMAGE BEFORE USE.
While using the KUMO Board, if you experience excessive fatigue, shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness, discomfort or pain, STOP USE IMMEDIATELY and consult a doctor.
INFLATING and DEFLATING: Watch Video
Maximum inflation levels:
Board: 20 psi
Roller: 10 psi
Cushion: 10 psi
To inflate your Kumo Board, roller and cushion use a manual or electric pump with an accurate integrated pressure gauge. You can the same type of inflation pumps used for inflating car tires and bicycles. You will need a needle adapter to inflate the cushion and roller, the same type used for inflating basketballs, footballs and other sports balls. NEVER INFLATE KUMO BOARD / ROLLER / CUSHION WITHOUT MONITORING THE PRESSURE TO ENSURE YOU DO NOT OVERINFLATE!
Your board, roller and cushion will stay inflated for many hours and even days, however they will naturally lose air pressure over time. Re-inflate as needed to maintain the desired firmness. To minimize air loss be sure to properly tighten down the valve core on your board using the included core tightener/remover tool.
- Only use on a clean, dry surface free of any obstacles within an 8 foot radius. The ideal surface for beginners is a thick carpet which provides a softer surface in the event of a fall and also slows down the board and/or roller.
- Deflator and Core Remover With this 2-in-1 tool, deflate using one end and insert and tighten valve core using the other end.
- Always use a spotter or balance aid until you are proficient at a given setting.
- Always begin using the lowest possible setting.
- Beginner - Board Only on a smooth, flat, carpeted surface
- Intermediate - Board + Cushion (higher cushion inflation = more difficult)
- Advanced - Board + Roller (higher roller inflation = faster)
- Always maintain proper posture
- Knees bent
- Back straight
- Feet shoulder width apart
- Head upright, do not stare at your feet. If you look down at your board do so with your eyes, not by bending your neck.
- Begin with a gentle range of motion on your Kumo Board until you become familiar with the movement. Always maintain stable upright body position and proper heads-up posture with eyes looking straight forwarward
- SIDE TO SIDE Shift your weight from left foot to right foot
- FRONT TO BACK Shift your weight from heels to toes and back.
- Countless exercises can be performed on the board, visit www.kumoboard.com/pages/owners-guide to learn more.
- Place the Kumo cushion underneath your board, using your fingers to check to make sure the cushion is centered underneath the board.
- Follow the same SIDE TO SIDE and FRONT TO BACK motions as in the beginner mode
- Countless exercises can be performed on the board, visit www.kumoboard.com/pages/owners-guide to learn more.
- Place the Kumo roller underneath your board slightly off center.
- Place the board on top of the roller with the ends of the board curved downwards, with one end close to the roller than the other. When the ends are curved downward this helps to slow the board down and is a more user-friendly setting. Placing the board with the ends curved upwards is a more advanced setting in which the board can shoot out from under you more easily as the ends of the board are curved upward.
- Place one foot on the end of the board that is touching the ground and further from the roller and keep your weight on this foot
- Place your other foot on the side of the board that is elevated
- Always have a spotter or a support such as a table to hold onto until you are proficient! Hold your spotters wrists or and shift your weight onto the roller.
- Continue to hold your spotters wrists and rock back and forth, weighting one foot and then the other and maintaining proper posture. The goal is to keep both ends of the board from touching the ground as long as possible.
- Continue to practice until you are comfortable without putting weight or pressure on your spotter. Your spotter should keep their arms in the “ready” position, as if they are about to grab you in the event of a fall, and you should take their hands when needed.
- Countless exercises can be performed on the board, visit www.kumoboard.com to learn more.